Wednesday, November 9, 2011

foodie wednesday: slow cooker gumbo {guest post}


Hi Lifestyle Maven fans, Sam here from fitness food & faith.  I’m super pumped to be sharing one of my favorite fall recipes on Cailen’s blog while she’s off becoming a wife!  As soon as the weather cools down, one of the first things I do is pull out my crock pot to make a delicious, easy and warming meal.  I love a good gumbo as it’s a great way to use up some lingering leftover vegetables in the fridge.


Slow Cooker Gumbo

1lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 10oz package frozen okra
2 links smoked chicken sausage, sliced
1 cup chopped onions
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
2 cups cooked rice

print recipe {here}

Combine all ingredients except the rice in crock pot.  Mix well, cover and cook for 8 hours on low (or 4 hours on high).  Serve over rice with hot cornbread.

Thanks, Cailen, for letting me take over your lovely blog for the day!  I hope you’re having the time of your life. 


6 comments:

  1. thanks so much for having me!! can't wait to hear about the wedding :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good...I think I really want that slow cooker now:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so trying this. Think it'd still be good without the okra? M hates it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm perfect for this cooler weather. Wish I had this for lunch!

    ReplyDelete

hello there. thank you for your comments - i love reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails