|our holiday dessert table|
1 pound butter (4 sticks)
1 cup sugar
4 cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. add sugar to room temperature butter and knead with hands.
2. add beaten egg and salt.
3. add flour gradually, continuing to knead dough with hands.
4. roll dough to ½ inch thickness and place on a cookie sheet with a lip.
5. cut dough into rectangular cookies (¾ inch by 2 inches). for a decorative touch, score each cookie 3 times with the tines of a fork, leaving 9 dots on the face of each cookie.
6. bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 200 degrees and continue to bake for 1 hour or until lightly golden brown.
7. while cookies are still warm, cut again along same grid lines. allow to cool completely on baking sheet.
(the baking tray we use has lots of score marks in it from all the years of making these cookies. i just love that.)