Decking the halls takes first priority in the beginning of December. Here are some simple, easy, and inexpensive ideas to make your home look festive in time for the the holidays!
1) Deck the Doors. If you get a real Christmas tree, door swags are a great way to make use of those extra branches you removed from your tree. Bundle 3-4 larger branches or 5-8 smaller branches at their base and secure with florist wire (use the ends of the wire to create a loop by which to hang the swag). Cover the wire with a tied ribbon or bow. Fasten pine cones, cranberries, holly, juniper, or small fruit or nuts to the branches with hot glue or wire.
2) Seasonal Scents. Making orange pomanders is quick and easy project that looks wonderful and fills your home with the refreshing smells of orange and clove. This is a great project to do with children and a fantastic way to make use of over-ripe, hardened oranges, tangerines, and clementines. Pierce the orange with the cloves to create a decorative pattern. Make enough pomanders to fill a bowl and display on your coffee table or use as your dining table centerpiece.
3) Simple Centerpieces. Seasonal arrangements are another easy way to decorate for the holiday season. Use pine branches or gather tree branches from your yard and spray paint them gold, silver, or wintry white. Fill vases with the pine boughs and other branches and fill in spaces with holly, juniper, pine cones, or branches of berries. If the branches are sturdy enough in the vase, add small ornaments to really impress!
4) Get Glowing! When you really want to set the mood and create a cozy, inviting atmosphere, there's no better way than using candles. They're inexpensive and really add a lot of character to a space. Choose red and green pillars for a traditional look or silver and gold for an elegant twist.
5) Festive Florals. Another easy way to create instant "festiveness" is by using poinsettias. Poinsettias have long been associated with Christmas time and are a quick way to give your home a holiday look. They come in an array of beautiful colors from rich reds to soft creamy whites to blush pinks. If you don't have much time to get creative about decorating this year, adding potted poinsettias with transform your house into a holiday home.
Keep these suggestions in mind while you're gearing up for the holiday season. They're simple, affordable, and will make your home look wonderful and welcoming.
Deck the Halls!