for my family's christmas eve gathering, i offered to make an appetizer. i wanted a delicious, savory, crowd-pleaser. so, i came up with mini quiche filled with sauteed mushrooms & onions in a garlic butter phyllo crust. yum! my family seemed to enjoy them quite a bit : )
2 1/2 to 3 cups sliced mushrooms (any kind will work)
1 large onion, chopped
3 scallion stalks, chopped
1/4 lb brie
5 tbsp butter
10 sheets of phyllo
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1/4 cup of half & half
salt & pepper
muffin trays (2.5 dozen)
1. preheat oven to 375. while that preheats, saute mushrooms and onions in a bit of olive oil for 20-25 minutes. season with 2/3 of scallions, salt & pepper. (reserve final 1/3 of scallions as topping)
2. transfer veggies to a bowl and melt butter in the same pan that you cooked the veggies in. add garlic and be sure not to let butter burn.
3. brush 30 muffin cups with butter mixture and then line each cup with 1/3 a sheet of phyllo folded in half. brush with butter again. be sure the buttered phyllo evenly covers the cup to prevent egg from sticking when it bakes.
4. spoon mushroom mixture into cups and top each with a chunk of brie.
5. mix eggs with half & half and salt. pour egg mixture evenly into cups.
6. sprinkle each cup with a bit more salt, pepper and reserved scallions.
7. bake for 10-15 minutes until eggs are firm and phyllo is lightly browned.
these can be made up to 3 days in advance and just reheat before the party. they are best if served warm.