as i sit here with my cut up apple, munching away, i thought i'd share some of my all-time favorite (healthy) snacks with you.
- fruit - my "go-tos" are apples, oranges and grapes, but i also love all the fresh berries that are available this time of year. i just got some cherries that are to-die-for!
- yogurt - i love yogurt because you can dress it up so many different ways. sometimes i top it with bananas, raisins and cinnamon, other times granola (or cereal) and pb. anyway you make it, yogurt is yummy and super good for you.
- cheese & olives - lately i've been enjoying string cheese and olives. this small savory snack is really satisfying.
- nuts - i personally adore pecans, though almonds are super good too. for a sweet treat i mix a few tbsp of pecans with some raisins and a dash of cinnamon - eat it all together and it tastes like an oatmeal raisin cookie - no joke!
- hummus & crackers - this is a great option if you're craving something crunchy. plus hummus comes in so many flavors & varieties, you're bound to find one that suits your fancy. (also, try hummus with apples or carrot sticks for an even healthier version.)
|me & my apple snack|
portion control - because i eat/snack throughout the day, i am conscious of portion control. i never sit down with the whole box of crackers and container of hummus. instead, i plate up a small portion and then sit and enjoy it.
thirsty? - i am so guilty of this. thinking i'm hungry when i'm actually thirsty. keep hydrated and listen for your true hunger so that you don't overdo it.
slow it down - if you're going with small meals/snacks to satisfy you, it's really important to eat slowly and chew thoroughly. if you rush through your mini-meals, they won't even register, and you'll just leave yourself feeling unsatisfied. take your time to taste your food : )
so, mavens, what healthy, wholesome snacks do you love?