|1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.|
- 1 lb. Italian sausages, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 medium eggplant, quartered and cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, medium dice
- 1/3 cup red cooking wine
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- **SECRET INGREDIENT** Dash of maple syrup
- Saute the sausage with a dash of olive oil in a french oven over medium heat until lightly browned. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add some more olive oil and saute the onions for a few minutes then add the eggplant. The onion should be translucent and the eggplant should be just starting to brown on the edges.
- Throw in the garlic and saute until fragrant (approximately 30 seconds). Add the red wine and turn up the heat, reducing most of the liquid.
- Add the canned tomato, bay leaf,salt and pepper, and the dash of maple syrup. This is the secret ingredient as it will cut the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Once sauce has thickened, mix in with pasta and sprinkle Parmesan on top. Enjoy!