Monday, October 25, 2010

legend of sleepy hollow

picture credit {here}
i'm sure most of you know the legend of sleepy hollow by washington irving.  the tale of school teacher, ichabod crane, and his ghostly encounter with the mysterious headless horseman.  but did you know that sleepy hollow is a real place?  and the legend may be based on real people and events?  how do i know so much about this you may ask?  well, my ancestors (the van cortlandts) lived in the very area of new york where the legend hails from.  and the story says ichabod falls in love with katrina van tassel.  van tassel...van cortlandt...coincidence?  perhaps.

legend of sleepy hollow
anyway, i've been intrigued by this haunting tale ever since i was little and with halloween less than a week away, i figured it was a fun time to share some "spooky" trivia.


the great jack o'lantern blaze at van cortlandt manor


so, do you have any haunted history to share?


8 comments:

  1. I love this story. I used to watch the cartoon version all year long when I was little.

    Ramblings of a Small Town Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this story also -- which is why I adore the movie Sleepy Hollow

    ReplyDelete
  3. No ghost stories to tell, but I clicked over to your blog from a comment you left on my friend Cait's blog (Finding My Balance)and was greeted by Ella Fitgerald's version of "Someone to Watch Over Me"! I just had to take a second to say: Hello! Your blog's nifty!

    Also, I think it's kinda rad that you might be related to Katrina van Tassel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great story...I really love it! The last photo is so cool
    Happy Monday, my dear

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love that first print and your personal story of sleepy hollow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had such a haunted history!

    Your blog is great - would love it if you stopped by mine sometime.

    Andrea X
    andreareh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this....Love the last photo the most. Thats completely cool.
    xx Emily from EL Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandmother used to live in a haunted house. She could hear footsteps, doors shutting, and music when she was home alone.

    ReplyDelete

hello there. thank you for your comments - i love reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails