Thursday, August 25, 2011

if i had my life to live over

this morning in yoga, my teacher started with a bitter sweet poem - if i had my life to live over.  the poem speaks to our tendency to put things off, dream of the future and forget the present moment - the only thing we ever really have.


if i had my life to live over

i'd dare to make more mistakes next time.
i'd relax, i would limber up.

i would be sillier than i have been this trip.
i would take fewer things seriously.

i would take more chances.
 
i would climb more mountains and swim more rivers.

i would eat more ice cream and less beans.
i would perhaps have more actual troubles,
but I'd have fewer imaginary ones.
 


you see, i'm one of those people who live
sensibly and sanely hour after hour, 

day after day.
  
oh, i've had my moments,
and if i had it to do over again,
i'd have more of them.
in fact, i'd try to have nothing else.
just moments, one after another,
instead of living so many years ahead of each day.

i've been one of those people who never goes anywhere
without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a raincoat
and a parachute.
if i had to do it again, i would travel lighter than i have.

if i had my life to live over,
i would start barefoot earlier in the spring

and stay that way later in the fall.
i would go to more dances.
i would ride more merry-go-rounds.
i would pick more daisies.


by nadine stair, 85 years old


we don't get any do-overs.  this one life is it.  pursue your passions, follow your heart and when you look back at 85, don't wish for a chance to do it better.

what can you do today to make sure you'll have no regrets tomorrow?

9 comments:

  1. Love Love Love this! Is it ok if I steal it - I'll link your post to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so important to remember to live life like it's your only chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I needed this today, Cailen. :-) I'm so glad you happened on my blog and said hello so I could find you. :-) This summer I sold nearly everything I own, packed up and moved to Europe for a few months. In October I finish my journey by moving to Australia to be with the man I love. :-) It is scary, liberating, and absolutely the best thing I've ever done. I have a lot of naysayers but even more cheerer-on-ers, and I'm listening to the latter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - that should be on my bathroom mirror to read every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great words to remember. Thanks for sharing your blog today on SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to pack lighter, too! All of life would seem lighter!

    Enjoy your SITS day! :)

    ReplyDelete

hello there. thank you for your comments - i love reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails