Monday, August 15, 2011

om monday: seeing rightly

"it is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."


at the close of yoga on saturday, the teacher ended class with her usual quote.  the lovely little sentence that she often utters is so simple and so true.  i was wondering what wise yogi's words she was repeating.  so, i googled it : )


to my surprise, it was not a yoga guru who first uttered those words.  it's a quote from the little prince (a.k.a. le petit prince).  a novel by antoine de saint exupĂ©ry from 1943. 


credit {here}
as a college french major, i must admit, i'm a little surprised (and embarrassed) that i didn't know that this famous quote came from a novel that is widely read and discussed in french classes.  but, in a different setting, in the zen-quiet of a peaceful yoga studio, the words took on a new, clearer and more profound meaning. 


"it is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."


namaste : )

10 comments:

  1. I love this quote - I have never heard it before...thanks for posting! xoxo from Trinidad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love The Little Price. :) Quite a lovely book and a great quote to end yoga with. I need to find a place like that. If you haven't read the book, I definitely recommend it. I read it after college as well (although I took Italian and not French.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a beautiful blog I'm your newest follower please follow back so we can keep in touch :)

    http://www.ohmydior.org/

    ReplyDelete
  4. how sweet! i loved that book growing up and read it countless times in french class. a perfect quote to end a yoga session :)

    Sam @ fitness food & faith

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The Little Prince" is full of so many wise quotes!! This is one of my favorites :)

    I didn't know you were a college French major, Cailen! I was a French major before I was an English major, and I have SO much respect for people who achieve a foreign language degree! I loved reading and writing in French, but I could never master the listening or speaking aspects of the language. Quelle dommage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read Le Petit Prince numerous times in French class over the years and I too didn't recognize it. Love this quote though and glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. one of my favorite quotes! what a fabulous yoga teacher you've got! ours just says namaste at the end and calls it a day:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The yoga instructor I used to go to said a little quote at the end of class too. The quote was different, but now I'm wondering if reciting a quote at the end of a yoga session is some kind of unspoken rule...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Little Prince - along with that quote - are my favorite.

    I just came across your blog, and am taking the time to catch up with your posts. I love how inspirational they are!

    xx
    thistimeisacharm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

hello there. thank you for your comments - i love reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails